GENERAL RULES – REGULATION NO 1
Being the general rules of the Bridge League Inc. of Montreal / Montreal Bridge League Inc., hereinafter called the Corporation or the LBM.
In these regulations:
- “ACBL” will mean “American Contract Bridge League.”
- “Handbook” will mean “ACBL Handbook of Rules and Regulations.”
- “District” shall mean “District 1” ACBL; and
- “MLB” shall mean the “Corporation”.
- “Unit” shall mean the “Unit 151” as defined by the ACBL.
1.2 SCOPE OF JURISDICTION LBM
The territory subject to the jurisdiction of the UBL is the one assigned by the ACBL.
- The international bridge language is English;
- All members wishing to create a pleasant atmosphere for the players, they are their unit or elsewhere;
- “LBM” organizes its tournaments in the Province of Quebec;
All members can address them in French or English in activities organized by the corporation.
i) playing bridge, players can announce the auction and / or identify their in English or French cards.
ii) It is recommended that players remain constant during the sequences auction.
iii) When the cards are removed from duplicate boards, of the one subject discussion should be the bridge. The private nature of discussions should be avoided regardless of the language.
iv) The players must understand that this is a matter of courtesy than ensure that opponents include everything that is said at the gaming table.
d. The language policy applies to tournaments and sessions organized by Unit, as well as clubs sessions.
1.4 CORPORATE SEAL
The seal of the Corporation shall have the appropriate form to be prescribed by the Directors of the Corporation. We will find there the words “BRIDGE LEAGUE MONTREAL INC. / MONTREAL BRIDGE LEAGUE INC. »
The registered office of the Corporation shall be located within the limits of its territorial jurisdiction, as the board deems necessary for resolution.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIVILEGES OF THE CORPORATION
2.1 RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CORPORATION
- Elect a Board of Directors pursuant to Section Five.
- To participate in all elections ACBL when eligible.
- Assist the development and organization of clubs affiliated to the inside of her jurisdiction.
- Expand the “membership” with active efforts to develop new players and enroll new members.
- Promote interest against the duplicate bridge among its members and potential members, especially by providing a continuous program and attractive bridge activities to complement those already offered by affiliated clubs.
- To cooperate with the organization of the District and the ACBL to promote the game.
- To maintain its authority within its jurisdiction as may be defined time to time by the ACBL and cooperate with neighboring units.
- Establish conditions for tournament competitions under its auspices.
- Report any dishonesty, unethical or improper for participants in duplicate sessions or tournaments under its jurisdiction and expel, suspend or punish another form the member guilty of a such conduct.
2.2 LIMITATIONS UNIT ACTIVITIES
- Notwithstanding the information contained in this document, the affairs of the association should be conducted on a basis strictly non-profit and no distribution / excess receipts or disbursements will be made from among its members.
- Any form of betting, including calcuttas on the results of a sanctioned event is not permitted. It is specifically forbidden to players, pairs or teams to from paris with other participants or spectators or other persons not participating on the order of graduating during a session or sessions tournament multiple or on the margin of difference between two or more participants.
- Cash prizes and money hens (jackpots) are not permitted in any form Tournament of Unity or higher level tournaments.
- The cash prizes and money hens (jackpots) are given clubs sessions subject to the limitations and restrictions specified in the “Handbook”.
The Corporation is a member of the American Contract Bridge League and is known under the designation of Unit 151. The unit has the exclusive right to organize all sanctioned tournaments held within the boundaries of the Unit.
Anyone who lives within the jurisdiction of the unit and is a member in ACBL rule is automatically a member of the Corporation.
3.1 CHANGE OF RESIDENCE
- New Unit – same district: A member who moves out of the unit becomes a member jurisdiction Unity of his new residence as soon as a change of address was treated by the ACBL. If he moves to a neighboring unit and wishes to keep his membership in his former unit, it must get approval from the organization his District.
- New Unit – New District: A member who moves to a new district must obtain the approval of organizations of the old and the new district to maintain its membership in the former Unit.
3.2 TEMPORARY RESIDENT
A member may request that we make forward his mail to a residence temporarily outside the unit and / or District.
3.3 CONTRIBUTIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP
- The fee for membership is established by and payable to the ACBL in the membership application, and on an annual basis thereafter.
- If the fee is not paid on the date it is due, a grace period can it be granted by the ACBL. After this grace period, its membership privileges will be suspended.
- The LBM receives a share of the contribution of the members. This share is established by the ACBL.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
4.1 GENERAL ASSEMBLY
- Each year, at least thirty (30) days before such meeting, a notice must be issued informing members that such a meeting will be held.
- The purpose of such a meeting is to receive the reports of the Board of Directors about the activities since the last General Assembly, and to take knowledge and approval of the financial statements of the <LBM>.
- If for some reason, the regional CAN-AM did not take place, the general meeting shall be held within six (6) months following the end of the fiscal year to a place determined by the Board of Directors.
- For any meeting of members, 25 members present constitute a quorum for business transactions and each member in good standing is entitled to one vote at annual or special general meetings of the corporation.
4.2 ELIGIBILITY TO VOTE
- Only members in good standing are entitled to vote at any meeting or election of the MBL.
- Each member in good standing is entitled to vote, which must be exercised in person.
4.3 SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
- A special meeting of the members may be called at any time by the two-thirds of the board or by a petition signed by at least hundred (100) members in order to deal with specific issues.
- The petition must clearly define the topics on the agenda to be studied this special meeting. No other subject will be discussed there.
- A notice concerning the location and timing of any special meeting shall be given to the members by the secretary no more than ten (10) days of receipt of the petition, and the special meeting shall be held no later than twenty-eight (28) days of the publication of the said notice.
4.4 GENERAL RULES
A review of all newly adopted bylaws, amended, added, removed or replaced by the Board of Directors shall be given by the Secretary which will incorporate the text of the said regulations in the notice convening the meeting annual or special general. These regulations must be confirmed by two-thirds members present at any annual or special general meeting, failing which they are void.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The affairs of the MBL will be managed and controlled by a board of seven (7) directors.
A person will be suitably qualified for a position on the board on condition that an official member in good standing. Such person must also be willing to put the effort required to achieve the objectives of the MBL, and also attend the meetings. Age minimum eligibility is eighteen (18) years.
- Four (4) positions will be available every odd year and three (3) positions will be available at every even year. A notice should be issued at least forty five (45) days before the annual meeting, informing all members that positions open for election to the Board; which notice will take good care of its name and the address of the head of elections, where the application should be sent.
- Such applications must be delivered to the Election Officer and supported by five (5) members in good standing. The candidate will provide the Election Officer’s identity and number ACBL.
- Applications must be received no later than twenty-one (21) days after the publication of the notice, after which applications will be automatically closed. A majority vote of the board may provide a grace period.
- If in a year:
- The number of applications received is less than or equal to the required number, there will be no elections and proposed candidates will be elected by acclamation.
- The number of applications received exceeds the required number mentioned earlier, election of the Board will be held in secret ballot during the regional CAN-AM and each of the members in good standing shall be entitled to as many votes as there has to directors to be elected.
Subject to the reservations number one regulation (1), the term of office of each member the board is two (2) years or until his successor is duly appointed or elected or until he or she is re-elected (e).
Administrators will not be paid for their services as directors.
The board of directors must hold a minimum of four (4) times per year, the times and places, within its jurisdiction, determined at will.
The quorum at any meeting of the Board of Directors shall comprise a minimum of majority of the board. If a meeting a quorum is not reached, the meeting may be adjourned until a quorum.
5.7 MEETINGS OF THE BOARD
Meetings of the Board may be called by order of the Board or the president or vice-president by sending a written notice, delivered in person or registered mail, or by email to each member at least seven (7) days before the meeting.
5.8 WAIVER OF NOTICE
It is possible to hold meetings of the Board without prior notice if all directors are present or if all the directors sign notwithstanding the notice stating the time, place and purpose of such a meeting. Special meetings of the Board may be held by sending a notice in writing, signed by three (3) directors and delivered personally or by mail recommended or email at least seven (7) days before the date of the meeting.
The Board has the authority to set compensation for services according to their needs or act as it deems necessary to meet its goals in the exercise of its powers.
5.10 FAILURE TO FUNCTION
If the majority of the board members agree, the Board may resign his office manager or officer who refuses or neglects to perform the tasks reasonable that had been entrusted to him by the Board. No later than thirty (30) days after the notice, it will be deemed resigned unless fulfilling his duties to the satisfaction of the Board and receives written confirmation to this effect within the deadline.
If an administrator missing three (3) meetings during a period of twelve (12) months, it will automatically be removed from office at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
All directors are entitled to vote on the matters discussed by the board. All directors have the same right to speak and vote, and the chairman shall give all the same consideration, answer any questions, open its books at their request and ensure that all documents of the UBL are available for purposes consultation.
5.12 COMMITTEE TRAINING
The Board of Directors may appoint such committees as necessary to perform the tasks of the organization. The Board must also define the responsibilities of such special committees it has trained.
5.13 PROXY VOTING
All directors who vote at a meeting or election must do in person, proxy voting is prohibited.
An administrator has the right to resign if desired. However, this last or it remains in office until he or she is appointed (e). A mass resignation of directors does not mean the end of activities the association, since they must continue to fulfill their responsibilities until they are replaced in due form.
A vacancy is created among the members of the Board of Directors or by death, resignation or loss of quality. Such vacancy shall be filled by the other members of Board of Directors, which can appoint a member of the corporation, by a vote majority even if there is no quorum (the latter caused by several holidays). This vacancy shall be filled until the end of the current year or until the next annual general meeting where elections will take place.
If a quorum is not reached at a meeting of members or the Board, the meeting may, fifteen (15) minutes after the time where the meeting was to begin, be adjourned by present or by the directors members present, when this is the case, for a period not exceeding more than one (1) month at a time without further notice that the announcement made at the meeting, until a quorum. Any meeting with quorum may also be delayed in the same way for a specified period of time by vote.
At any adjourned meeting at which a quorum is present, the decisions taken there are valid as if they had been taken at the originally scheduled time for the meeting.
OFFICERS OF THE CORPORATION
The Board of Directors will hold a meeting within fourteen (14) days the annual meeting of the members and shall elect from its members elected a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, a Head of tournaments and a Treasurer. It may also assign other officers as needed.
6.1 APPOINTMENT OF OFFICERS
The officers of the Corporation shall be appointed after each election by the Board from among its members at the first meeting following the meeting annual general members of the Corporation. The same person may hold a (1) or two (2) officer positions.
The President or any member of the board appointed by the president and approved by vote majority, shall preside at all meetings of the members of the Corporation and all Meetings of the Board of Directors.
6.3 PARAMOUNT VOTE
The chairman has a casting vote in case of equality of votes for any question arising at a meeting.
6.4 VICE PRESIDENT
Vice President replaces the President when the latter is not available.
6.5 EXECUTION OF DOCUMENTS
The President or Vice-President, and the Secretary or the Treasurer may sign all documents requiring the signature of the Corporation, unless it is decided otherwise at a resolution of the Board of Directors.
The Secretary shall:
- Keep minutes of meetings of members and the Board of Directors books for this purpose.
- See that all notices are sent in accordance with the general regulations present of the Corporation.
- Ensure that all books, reports, certificates and other required documents and archives by law, are kept and cataloged properly.
- Perform such functions as secretary and other duties he will assigned to the Board of Directors.
The Treasurer shall perform his duties faithfully and may be required to provide the commitment he will discharge his duties with honesty through guarantees that can determine the Board of Directors.
The Treasurer shall:
- have the care and custody of funds and securities, accounting records and documents of the Corporation, except those under the responsibility of the Secretary, and look to the deposit of funds and securities on behalf of the Corporation, in a bank or other depository designated by the Board of Directors
- To present at each meeting of the Board a statement of revenue and paid with vouchers, and other information on the situation Financial Corporation as the Board may from time to time determine whether the necessary.
- Give a detailed report of the financial condition of the Corporation at the regular meeting the Board of Directors prior to the Annual General Meeting of Members and submit other reports audited or not according to the request of the Board of Directors.
- To receive and give receipts for monies due and payable to the Corporation from any source whatsoever; and
- In general, to perform the tasks that fall under the cash and other tasks may be assigned from time to time by the Board of Directors.
At the discretion of the Board, one (1) or auditors may be appointed to audit the financial statements of the Corporation. It must not be a member of the Council.
The fiscal year of the Corporation ends on the thirty (31) May each year. The French version is the official version. In case of conflict between the French version and English, the French version takes precedence over the English.